> One thing to consider is adding some sort of subsidiary tags, such as
> suggested, add closed to the name, but leave the main aeroway tagged for a
> few years. If an airport suddenly disappears from normal map rendering
> there is a natural assumption by map users that OpenStreetMap is in error.
>  I have no strong views on the "correctness" of that, but it is pragmatic.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/86784991  Stockholm-Barkarby flygplats
> (Nedlagd)
>
> Mike

I don't like this practice. You are adding several incorrect statements
(wrong name of the former airport, and the fact that there is no airport)
because some people are going to be confused by the fact that an airport
has disappeared. So if someone runs a script to see how many airports there
are in the US, they are going to get a wrong number.

A classical case of mapping for the renderer, because if the renderer
rendered disused:aeroway=airport, this wouldn't be an issue.

Janko