> Ilya, a big thank you! This looks convenient and promising, am
> waiting now for the second output, the first one, created like this:
> nik4.py -b 5.8 35.5 19 48.1 --ppi 300 --size-px 28108 36000
> osm-render.xml italiabig300dpi.png

> didn't work like expected (I got a tiny map in the upper left
> corner and all the rest was sea-blue).

Yes, that's a bug I've also encountered when trying to render
1000x26000 strip. Looks like an overflow error in Mapnik. Use --tiles
parameter (I'd suggest --tiles 3): it will generate the image in 9
parts and then merge them with Imagemagick.

> Can I feed it with the
> "classic" render.xml style (no carto), or does it expect a
> carto-style? In the second attempt I'm omitting the dimensions and
> only defining a zoom level, a bounding box and a output resolution.

It expects a regular mapnik xml, not cartocss or cascadenik.
CartoCSS projects should be processed with carto -l.

IZ