Today I have published Nik4. It makes everything easier.

I see that it can split a large image into smaller mapnik rendering jobs
and combine them after, with --tiles. That's already very useful but is
it also possible to actually keep the tiles (e.g. for building a GDAL
VRT from them)? This would require a separate .pgw file for each tile.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just published release 1.5 with
`--just-tiles` option: when used, it does not merge tiles, but keeps them, and creates ozi/wld files for each if requested. I've tested it with gdal_merge.

IZ