Hi,

On 06/11/2014 01:07 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> I think the "mechanical edits policy" has stepped over the line here. A
> mechanical edit is one where somebody uses a special program that, based on
> some simple criteria, does *automatic* changes. Using existing tools like JOSM
> and XAPI to find problems, looking at them manually and doing edits, is not a
> mechanical edit and should not fall under that policy.

Humans can act mechanically if they disengage their brains enough.

> The way you find the
> problems is not the criteria that should decide whether an edit is
> "mechanical", but the edit itself. Doing a mass edit is not the problem, doing
> it blindly is.

Yes. It doesn't matter whether the edit is done by a pritive automaton
or by a human who behaves like a primitive automaton.

> somebody fixing hundreds of typos is not a problem.

If that person carefully examines the situation, yes. But is very easy
to fix hundreds of "typos" with JOSM oor Level0 *without* examining the
situation, basing one's decision solely on the tags that are there and
not any background knowledge of the area or a look at aerial imagery or
anything else.

Bye
Frederik