Hi,

>>  To sum it up: please stop treating/regarding "gardeners" differently
>>  from "surveyors". If a distinction is to be made (and gradual levels
>>  defined), it's between large and small edits.
>
> the most important distinction I see is the one between edits in an area
> you know and those in an area you don't know.

Absolutely.

"Gardening" in your own backyard is perfectly fine; and I'd even go so
far as to extend this term of "own backyard" to subject matter instead
of just locality - if you are an expert on power stations then you might
indeed be able to better map a power station on the other side of the
globe than the person who is local but not an expert on power stations.

"Gardening" in someone else's backyard is not forbidden but in my eyes
it is certainly a less valuable activity than mapping or "gardening" in
an area where you have knowledge, and I will certainly not treat the
German mapper who armchair-maps Peru with the same regard as I will
treat the Peruvian mapper who surveys his home area EVEN IF the armchair
mapper should, for the time being, deliver better quality because he has
clocked up 2000 hours of armchair mapping experience.

I myself have traced thousands of features from aerial imagery in places
I've never been to. It's a recreational activity that I occasionally do
for fun, and a guilty pleasure because deep down I know that the spirit
of OSM is to let the people who live there do the work. I would
certainly never claim that my work in these remote areas should be
treated the same as that of a proper surveyor; in fact if surveyors on
the ground should decide that I traced a heap of rubbish I would be
happy for them to remove it and start anew.

I consider "made by people who know the area" one of the strongest
selling points of OSM. I am fully aware that this is not true for all
our data, and partly that's down to us not yet being big enough to have
enough people in every area, but in the long run I would be very happy
to see "gardening"/mapping/tracing/... in unfamiliar areas disappear
altogether.

Bye
Frederik