This rendering has highlighted inconsistent tagging in county borders in
the U.S.  However the inconsistency is only on member ways. The county
boundary relations are very consistent but don't seem to be used in
rendering. Should they be? I do like that counties are a little more
prominent than on osm.org. Right now rendering seems to be based on the
admin_level=6 tag on ways only. Look at the difference between Colorado and
Kansas at zooms 7-10:

http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=7&lat=38.0209&lon=-102.2259&layers=0000B000FFFFFFF

Whoever originally did the county border relations in Kansas deleted the
admin_level=6 tag from the ways. I did the ones in Colorado and left it
there. At z11+ it seems that the relations are used. Or perhaps it is just
a generic rendering of the boundary=administrative tag which I think is
still on most of the member ways.

And actually I just noticed that this affects all admin boundaries. If you
go to z5, there are a lot of state borders missing as well as the US/Canada
border:

http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=5&lat=42.64191&lon=-84.04284&layers=0000B000FFFFFFF

Is this a tagging problem or a rendering problem?

Toby