Maarten Deen wrote:
> It's nice and fast! But it is not really apt in finding shortest or
> quickest routes.
> I entered my daily commute (from 51.3207,5.9888 to 51.5428,5.9827,
> route of 18.3 miles (=29.45 km) in 2:02.
> If I move the route to what I actually do, I get 17.9 miles and 1:59.
> And there are no paths or tracks in either route.

The route it chooses has an off-road cycleway for more of the route (all the
way to Eijkenhofweg) and then highway=unclassified (Steegse Peelweg),
whereas the 17.9-mile route has more highway=tertiary (Loorban and
Veulenseweg). In general cycle.travel prefers a balanced route using
traffic-free and quiet roads, rather than just trying to find the shortest
or quickest route along busier roads.

Of course, it would be good if we tagged average motor traffic levels on
roads. :)

>> and if you log in, you can save/share your planned routes (and change
>> your user preferences from miles to km ).
> Do you really have to create an account just for that? Miles is a very UK
> and US thing, it is not used anywhere on mainland europe. Can't you just
> use km when you plan a route on mainland europe or set a cookie?

Oh absolutely, I just haven't had time to do that yet.

cheers
Richard