On 2014-07-17 16:38, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Maarten Deen wrote:
It's nice and fast! But it is not really apt in finding shortest or
quickest routes.
I entered my daily commute (from 51.3207,5.9888 to 51.5428,5.9827,
route of 18.3 miles (=29.45 km) in 2:02.
If I move the route to what I actually do, I get 17.9 miles and 1:59.
And there are no paths or tracks in either route.

The route it chooses has an off-road cycleway for more of the route (all the
way to Eijkenhofweg) and then highway=unclassified (Steegse Peelweg),
whereas the 17.9-mile route has more highway=tertiary (Loorban and
Veulenseweg). In general cycle.travel prefers a balanced route using
traffic-free and quiet roads, rather than just trying to find the shortest
or quickest route along busier roads.

So, can't I just ask shortest or quickest road? As you say, the router has no idea about traffic levels. I mean, if a router can't give me either shortest or quickest, then I always think I get some random route that is not optimal in any aspect.

Maarten