Hi,

On 08/04/2014 06:27 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> I'm looking for some images of early OSM maps. Thanks to Martijn Exel,
> we have http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#10/52.2644/5.2899, the Then
> and Now from 2007 to current. But I'd really like some images of the
> very earliest OSM maps.

Anyone who wants to really go down that road and has some time to spare
would have to do roughly the following:

* get very old planet file from http://planet.openstreetmap.org/cc-by-sa/

* potentially check out -r2744 of
svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/osm-extract/planetosm-excerpt-area.pl
and the libraries it refers in order to be able to cut out a rectangular
section from your planet file

* if you want to go the Mapnik route, either get very old matching
osm2pgsql or, potentially better, use
svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/conv05/04to05.pl to convert old
data to a format readable by current osm2pgsql

* alternatively and for extra authenticity, grab osmarender from SVN and
run it over your data.

You might even want to grab an old coastline data set from somewhere, or
run Jochen's osmcoastline across the old planet file but maybe that
would be pushing it ;)

I happen to have a number of really old PostgreSQL databases lying
around and I tried to quickly expose them to anyone who would like to
have a go at rendering old maps. Caveat: These *only* cover the "non US"
part of the planet (the databases were created for animation purposes
and at the time, US data was plentiful but relatively static and
therefore useless for animations).

So if you want to render a historic map of your (non-US) area, grab
mapnik and a style file and connect to the following:

host name: skye.geofabrik.de
port: 5432
user: guest
password: guest

for database name, use one of these for the respective snapshot:

h060814
h060903
h061023
h061105
h061205
h070103
h070207
h070307
h070404
h070502
h070613
h070704
h070801
h070905
h071003
h071107
h071205
h080102
h080206
h080305
h080402
h080507
h080604

The data in these tables is organised in a way that matches today's
style sheets, i.e. you will find columns like "addr:housenumber" even
though you're unlikely to find data there.

I can also supply SQL dumps of any of the above if desired.

Bye
Frederik

In case you are reading this in a mailing list later - the above is a
temporary service and will only be available for a few months after this
announcement.