On 23/08/14 04:43, Russ Nelson wrote:
> I've checked these using surveys, and the
> aerial photos are right, and the OSM (actually TIGER) data is
> bad. Once you've edited a few hundred of these ways, you learn to
> recognize one of these mis-digitized ways.

The key perhaps here is that the source data is what was wrong. Had the
material been 'armchair mapped' from the first, then many of these
problems would not exist?

I object to someone telling me that a road needs 'smoothing' ... it may
well have very well mapped source data, and someone who does not know
that will be stripping data simply because it does not follow the
programmers arbitrarily defined rules. This is DEFINITELY not something
that should be rolled out blindly across all countries as certainly ome
ARE now adding very fine detail over the top of the originally crude
tracing!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL