On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 02:23:40PM -0500, Andrew Buck wrote:
> > Isnt the semicolon the list seperator typically used in OSM? My
> > intuitive answer would have been alt_name=a;b;c;d
> >
> > Flo
>
> My understanding was that since almost nothing actually understands
> the ; separator that doing it as multiple tags is the preferred
> system.  I think the ; separator is not really understood by
> nominatim, for example, whereas the multiple tags system is.  I think
> nominatim might work with ; in a sort of "hacky" way since it probably
> will match on substrings, but it will confuse other parts of the
> system, not to mention all of the other systems that don't understand ;

AFAIK Nominatim does fine with the semicolon. Mapnik breaks - so every
information you think of putting on the map needs to be split before
handed over to mapnik.

> In any case I don't really want to turn this into a discussion of how
> multiple values should be handled in general as this has been done
> before and no one has come to a solution.  That is a discussion for a
> different time and place, this is just about remedying a minor
> inconsistency in the current tagging.

I dont get this. It seems somebody rushed and imported stuff as alt_name:2
and when stepping back and thinking about it we are in a hurry again?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de