Hi,

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>>
>> Using it to edit OSM data, however, does not sound that intuitively
>> appealing when more specialized tools are available. But perhaps you can
>> elaborate?
>
> It is worth noting that Wikibase doesn't need to be the edition interface.
> You can have it running on the background and use a custom GUI to
> display/edit some preset fields which use the entity suggester in whatever
> language the user has chosen. Examples:
> https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%8F:WE-Framework
>
> The benefits are that you could use it as an authority control gateway,
> structured relations, better interoperability, and reuse of the
> tools/development that is being done for wikibase.
> I don't know OSM well enough to appraise if these benefits outweigh the
> costs, but perhaps it is worth taking a closer look.

Since Micru has already pointed out some of the benefits, I'd to
subscribe to his list adding the fact that the reuse of Wikibase can
allow to, say, export all the data in RDF format, once this
functionality is developed for Wikidata.

On the other hand, put very simply, you could see this project as a
(yet) another editor for OpenStreetMap with the plus that you are
reusing a well-known software that already comes with a number of
extensions and tools and it's actively developed by a vast community.
After looking at Level0, one way that I imagine this project is some
sort of "Level0 on steroids".

Cristian