Thanks for creating this project in the first place Steve.

In an interview earlier this year you said pretty much the same thing. I believe this is a vital step forward in the First World countries where other competing solutions, both local and global, are not delivering enough.

However I disagree that this might be THE key issue. Where we are lacking even more at the moment is the world we knew previously as Third World but as Hans Rosling has demonstrated that name does not mean anything anymore.

Let me take Botswana as an example, a project I've been trying to get rolling for the past year as Mapping Botswana. They do not have many addresses at all, in the newest areas they are creating US-style cul-de-sacs and putting addresses and streetnames but in the capital itself, Gaborone, the older areas are designed as plots, arbitrarily sized areas that encompass many buildings so your address will be Plot 525 and then you need to look for the correct sign to find the correct building. This plot data is currently not under a license we can work with.

Elsewhere the rural villages are a mishmash of roads and paths and arbitrarily placed buildings mostly, with no street names or anything. The only thing we could use there is a census number that each residential building is supposed to be assigned. I doubt they were intended as addresses but we are looking into it.

The offline apps and tools are vital here - in Africa, Asia and Latin America where mobile networks are still slow, still unreliable for coverage and data usage often pricey. Not to mention the map coverage is often limited to a name on commercial maps. This is where OSM makes a huge difference.

I live in a country where Google has already StreetViewed most of it, a local service ja.is has imported all official address data (including bad data) and they also made their own version of StreetView called 360°. In Iceland we are up against corporations who are doing their utmost to make a good map and so we try even harder to be better. But we don't kid ourselves, if Iceland were deleted from OSM then there would still be good online maps from these other providers. The offline feature starts to give OSM an edge - they are something we should strive to make better, something done by many app makers, some of the good and some of the poor.

If however Botswana were deleted then there are small parts of Botswana who would still enjoy pretty decent coverage on Bing and Google but all the rural areas, villages and hamlets, are not there. The HOTOSM projects and related ones are what is giving OSM the bite, in my view.

Delete the ebola-affected areas from OSM and you set back local efforts and local knowledge with devastating results. Delete New York City data and you can still get around on Google or Bing or whatever, although you are missing out on many great improvements that have been made.

This is my view of OSM, it matters most where there are no other alternatives.

Best wishes,
Jóhannes

Þann 23.10.2014 16:56, skrifaði st...@asklater.com:
I'm adding OSMF-talk since it concerns what I outlined in the original “vision statement” email.

I was perhaps too specific and jumped ahead saying “world’s best addressable map”.

What I really mean is the “world's most complete open map”. There are three pieces to a modern map. There's the display piece, the routing and the geocoding.

We won the display piece. It looks great. We are ok at routing. Not perfect or great, but ok. We're really lacking on the addressing. If we can get addressing even to the “ok” stage then a lot more people will use OSM, which means more editors, more community and more data. This is because the main use for maps today by the public is to get somewhere, and we can't help with that without all three pieces. Right now we have 2/3.

I jumped ahead because I see this every day, and I understand not everybody does. I think all the other things are good too, even every tree in OSM! I just know that if we had to pick one thing to focus on it would be addressing, as it will get all the other things to happen faster too. But that doesn't mean you can't add trees in to OSM at the same time, just that the shortest path to getting more of everything is to get more of addressing.

Also let's be clear - addressing isn't easy. It's complicated and hard. But that's a good goal to have, and OSM was complicated and hard in the first place.

Steve