Particularly because the "far more efficient" is clearly false (for one
compare number of fundamental reforms at all level of government that
stick in Switzerland vs. other countries, particularly those with
two-party systems). The Swiss system is fairly fine-tuned though and
lots of things work smoothly because the direct democratic system
exists, not because it is invoked.

But this is really really off topic

Simon

PS: one thing that confuses non-residents a lot is that for example tax
increases in general (gross simplification naturally) are accepted in
popular votes here.

PPS: mandatory cultural dissonance pointer: Switzerland doesn't even
have a head of state in any conventional sense of the word and still is
by many metrics one of the most successful countries in the World.
Invoking the image that things can't work without a "leader" telling
people what to do, tends to get us rolling on the floor with laughter.
And that even without going as far as collecting Godwin points.