I read this article recently and It got me thinking.  Do we devalue
community members, or potential community members who don't drink?

Thank you for the whole story. When I've read the subject line, it rather sounded like a joke.

I've hardly seen the problem ever in the German software industry anywhere and even less in an OpenStreetMap environment.

At the FOSSGIS conferences in 2012, 2013, and 2014 no alcohol was offered during the day sessions. Alcoholoic drinks were offered during the "social event" on one evening, but only along a larger number of non-alcoholic drinks:

The identity-donating beverage for nerds is "Club Mate", a softdrink with quite a lot of caffeine. In general society, also drinks like Bionade and alcohol-free beer have a favourable image over alcoholic drinks. Sparkling or non-sparking high quality water is usually also available and quite prestigious.

The situation at our monthly local meetup in Bonn is similar. As is with other events from the tech industry here in Germany and some in France that I have attended.

You should wait for further feedback, but I sounds to me like a US-American, not an OSM problem.

Best regards,

Roland