On Tuesday 04 November 2014, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
> On 04.11.2014 07:02, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> > You should wait for further feedback, but I sounds to me like a
> > US-American, not an OSM problem.
>
> as a person who usually doesn't drink alcohol I second Roland. Within
> all the events regarding OSM and open SW and hacking and .... I
> joined within the last 10 ...15 years drinking no alcohol was never a
> problem to me.

I am in the same position (not drinking alcohol) and essentially have
made the same experience.

However i also realize that over the years and with age i have developed
a high level of robustness against suptle pressure to participate in
drinking alcohol.  For younger people this can be different.

This is however a more general problem of the acceptance of alcohol
consumption in our society as a whole, at least in Europe and the US.
I can see no specific problem for OSM here.  On the contrary given the
international nature of OSM i would consider particular focus on this
topic misguided - there are such a large number of cultural differences
that need to be dealt with - just think of food and various religious,
medical and other dietary requirements, questions of adequate clothing
etc.  Conflicts and misunderstandings can never be fully avoided in
such situations.  Sensitivity, generocity and tolerance are much more
helpful than fixed rules in these cases.

Which is not meant to say though that the text linked by Richard Weait
is not a useful guideline for anyone planning an OSM event.  Just don't
think alcoholic drinks are the only sensitive issue to be considered.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/