On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Randy Meech <randy.me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's that the US org has a demonstrated track
> record of running large conferences very well, and it seemed like a better
> partner for this.

I'm sure other countries can organize large conferences as well. The
location inside the country is more important than the country itself
(all large conferences have the same needs).

> For context, during this submission process the Buenos
> Aires event didn't post a schedule until the last minute, had sponsorship
> issues with logos not correct, not up on time, etc.

For such issues, I would expect some support from the foundation. To
my mind, since OSM is a worlwide project, the SOTM's should play like
all international events and should happen around the world, not
excluding any one. And like football world cup or olympic games, it
should target a kind of "continents rotation policy" and not
exclusively "Europe or US" (idealy).

> This conference will be
> very visible and we can't have stuff like that happening, so we opted for
> the US group.

Visible... in US. This is always the same. The conference is mostly
visible in the country where it is organized. Your request and
arguments sound a bit too much US centric and will probably hurt a
large part of the community.

Pieren