Dear all,

We are considering to change the colour of buildings in
openstreetmap-carto, the default rendering on openstreetmap.org.
Because this change has a significant effect on the looks of the map,
we would like to consult the community before going ahead with this
change.

A rendering demo can be found here (left the current rendering, right
the proposal):
http://bl.ocks.org/pnorman/raw/c61d6b11193081910866/#15.00/50.0611/19.9393
http://bl.ocks.org/pnorman/raw/c61d6b11193081910866/#14.00/40.7048/-74.0040
Please note that only selected regions have been loaded into the demo server.

As can be seen, the new building colour is much lighter. This should
make the map more pleasant to the eye, as well as make it easier to
see the road network in areas with many buildings.

More info can be found in the Github issue:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/565. I would
like to thank Paul Norman and Mateusz Konieczny, who have done the
majority of the work.

Please let us know what you think of the new rendering, either on
Github or as a reply to this message.

Kind regards,
Matthijs