On 12/19/2014 3:47 PM, Dave F. wrote:
 From memory the original claim was all 'contacts' could be filtered out
in one go, but it was pointed out that post filtering would still need
to be performed, and I'm no programming expert, but I was led to believe
parsing a string like 'contact:email' is slow.

In one go, there's this: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=contact . As a programmer, I would tend to be in the contact: camp. As an OSM contributor, I have since long sided with the non-contact: camp since the data consumers have been very slow on the uptake of the contact: form - if anyone is even using it at all yet.