*Regards,*

*Hans*

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> On 06/01/2015 01:25, Michał Brzozowski wrote:
>
>> * Software for monitoring OSM changes is still very rudimentary. I
>> wanna be the f**king NSA. It's incredibly hard to check newbies' work
>> quickly (eg. you have to load every changeset separately into OSMHV).
>>

> I'm not sure that it is "incredibly hard" - I rarely need to throw new
> users' changesets at osmhv - that usually gets saved for the wide
> changesets of people making things match JOSM's presets.  It's usually
> pretty easy to categorise new users into "adding new things; no problems",
> "adding things OK but haven't quite grasped $some_concept (like joining
> roads at nodes)" or "Oh dear they're really struggling".
>

>  * Why do these newbies make so many mistakes?
>>

> Because it's difficult, dammit!  When I started mapping there was a large
> area of white space for several miles around my house - not even the roads
> were mapped.  It took a long time to get the hang of things, but while I
> was doing it there were no local mappers breathing down my neck saying that
> I was "tagging for the renderer" or similar.
>
> We have to give new mappers the time to get the hang of things, and offer
> help when required, but constructively and not just saying "your're doing
> it wrong".  One of the sad things about OSM is that many people are willing
> to fix the _data_ but not to fix the _people_ - if you look at the changset
> history anywhere you'll often see quite wide changesets with descriptions
> such as "fix typo" - but rarely are the people making these changes going
> back to the original mappers explaining the best way to map a certain
> feature.

 I think the reason most long time mappers don't communicate the mistake
the was made to new mapper
​s​
 is
​ the fact that where​
 afraid of getting into a long drawn out conversation with them or it
turning into a disagreement and
​
end
​ing​
 up nowhere. Just two frustrated mappers. I would like to point out a case
in point. There's a mapper whose page a ran across that said "All emails to
me will immediately be deleted without being read."Now how do we communicate
​​
when we have mappers who feel that way
​ in the community​
 It's hard.