Addresses are trivial to match by geographic proximity and the actual
values and given that addresses are one of the things that are quite
likely to move and be attached to other objects (and loose any
non-standard ref tags in the process) any tool that relies solely on
such ref tags is going to fail. So given that you have to implement such
matching in any case at least as a fallback, I don't see a case for a
complicated ref system.

Matter of fact you don't even need geographic coordinates in the source
data to get a list of missing/changed addresses as
http://regio-osm.de/hausnummerauswertung/ shows which is based on non
geo-referenced address lists.

In summary I don't see the need for adding additional refs which will
simply make editing more complicated, I can see a need for additional
tools outside of what is already available, but that should be possible
without trying to link back to the original data.

Naturally going for a walk outside and having a look at what has changed
is the most preferable action.

Simon