On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> On 26/01/2015 19:19, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>

>> 2) Nobody seems to mind if a school POI is off by 30 meters.  But the
>> people do seem to care for bicycle repair stations.
>>

> Citation needed, I think.  That may be true in the US (were schools
> imported there?) but I'd be very surprised if in the UK there were many
> school POI nodes (of which there are still a few) that were actually
> outside the school grounds.  A quick peek at a couple of areas in the UK in
> taginfo (including ones with fewer local mappers) suggest most schools are
> mapped as areas, and I'd expect them to be as accurate the aerial imagery
> locally, which is certainly better than 30m.

Schools were imported (from GNIS), as far as I can tell.  Sadly apparently
the government doesn't even know it's own territory that well, so nodes for
some schools (and churches, and airfields, and post offices, and similar
amenities) that were removed (or destroyed through some means, or in the
case of many, especially remote, post offices, just plain *abandoned*, but
left standing) years to decades before the imported data was generated
ended up in OSM.  Go back a few years and the situation was far worse, I'm
sure "TIGER import considered harmful" should bring plenty of calls for a
wide-scale revert.