Hi,

What if the osm website would allow "custom renderings" within
predefined zoom levels by default, stitching together existing tiles in
that case, which should require much less resources than a complete
custom render, even when cutting down to non-tile boundaries.

For current browsers it should be possible to do that with javascript at
the browser a well.

If we still want to allow the custom zoom rendering, a "fallback" to the
current solution might be possible, but a UI that makes clear that some
predefined zoom levels are to be preferred might, I guess, solve most of
our requests "by accident" as most users probably aren't that specific
in the zoom they query for.

What do you think about that idea?

regards
Peter