I was wondering, what do you think (interpret this only as a question)
about introducing validation in iD in the future?

Using MAGIC integrated circuit design tool, that does DRC (Design Rule
Check) in real time and highlights errors inspired me that OSM editors
could also incorporate this. It makes sense to me. First, users will not be
overwhelmed by a sh**load of errors at once and second, they could learn
what they actually do wrong.

But this poses challenges, because sometimes when you're editing, there
will be a temporary error state, to disappear just when you finish a
sequence (e.g. you don't enter all tags at once so there will be a
transient "place of worship without religion" error.) That type of error
message should not happen, because spamming irrelevant errors only makes
users ignore them.

Still, there are checks that can be safely made in real time, like all
sorts of geometrical tests (self-intersections, building crossing another
building and so on.). Maybe good-enough heuristics could be applied for
when the user stopped editing a feature and moved on to another, to address
the "temporary error" issue.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who makes iD more iDiot-proof. It
really matters a lot, for example there was press coverage (Polish News
Agency) back in 2014-08-18 that generated 500 or more new users who
obviously contributed a fair share of mistakes. There was simply no
manpower available to check edits of all the users, let alone message them
on what they did wrong.

Having no severe errors is quite a point of honor to me, as I think we must
try to be free of all these "that cursed satnav told me to do this"
situations. Steve Jobs once told something along the lines of "We don't
ship junk. We make products that we could recommend to our family and
friends" and surely anyone tech-savvy can relate to that feeling of
embarrassment when a cool gadget/software you show to your family happens
to betray you. Have your navigation lead you off-road (see: wrong road
tagging), people will tell that "OSM is shit" even though other map
products are not ideal as well.

Michał