On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Jonathan Bennett <jonobenn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually I think you've misunderstood:
>
> You've said these are Junk Tags, and I think everyone has agreed with
> you on that. However people have also pointed out that they are probably
> attached to Junk Data.

How about if I summarize the discussion so far, and see if there is
misunderstanding:

*One)* We have a "fixme" system where human mappers are encouraged to pay
extra attention to particular areas or objects.

*Two) *There is an issue of mapper fatigue: each mapper will look at only
so many such tags in a lifetime of mapping.

*Three)* The fixme system is not self-cleaning.  Certain conditions result
in fixme tags that are unlikely to be acted on.  There are some 1.3 million
open fixme tagged items, more than half from mechanical tagging.

*Four)* In some cases the fixme tags happen to be associated with poor
quality imports. But this is not universal: some poor data has fixme tags,
other poor data does not.

Similarly some mechanically added fixme tags are valuable, some are (ahem)
less so.

How about a two step process:

*Step One ) * People who wish to delete a particular import look through
the FIXME tagged items, and  propose specific deletions.  For example
there's a bus stop import that looks to be of bad quality.  If that data is
removed, the fixme tag will go with it. Problem solved.  *Make a specific
proposal showing why the fixme tag is needed in order to clean the data.*

*Step Two )  *Remaining fixme values with a count above 10000 are
reviewed.  If they are deemed to add value, or if they come from
many hand mapping efforts, they stay.  The rest are mechanically trimmed.