Am 14.03.2015 um 23:49 schrieb mick <bare...@tpg.com.au>:

One issue I hope those people expending mental energy on improving the tagging
scheme will keep in mind are the limitations existing in GIS packages in
respect of the number of fields and the maximum field length.

This is not an issue that should burden us in OSM in my opinion. People will
have to filter and normalize and interpret our data when processing it with
different software. Or maybe extend the capabilities of their software if the
feel the need to do so.

As they already have to filter the data to obtain what they want, another step
should not be too burdensome.

I wonder what the OSM vision was 10 years ago and if it in any way resembles
the present?
Just thinking of those 5 year plans of China (or any other large organisation).
Are 'we' looking to far in front? Would 3 years be better ?  :-)