On 16 May 2015 at 00:57, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >when a mapper invents something new, they can add tags for
> >colour, opacity, line colour, line width, line opacity - for areas and
> >similar attributes for lines and points (colour, opacity, size etc.) and
> >obviously tags for name and description etc. What do people think to this
> ?
> >

> The people behind the default map render have put a lot of work in to
> trying to develop a map style which works well for the average OSM mapper.
> To have anyone come along and add their own styling for any map feature
> they like would be chaos. We'd end up in a map style edit war!! Also even
> if a mapper found a style and colour that worked for the default
> OpenStreetMap render, it wouldn't work with other map styles (Humanitarian,
> MapQuest, etc..).

I'm talking ADDITIONAL tags - so the other map styles wouldn't be affected.
I'm also talking temporary tags - to be removed by the default map
renderers after they've created a 'proper' render style for the object.
Having said that, I wouldn't object if they became a feature of the db -
for a 'natural map'. I'm sure that would result in a bizarre map - likely
'suitable' for an art gallery !

> I know you'd love to have a map that renders everything but you will not
> get that from OpenStreetMap. As all the data is available there is nothing
> to stop you setting up your own map renderer and doing as you please
> (although good luck making it look anything other than a mess).
>
> I'm sure folks will be happy to point you in the direction of guides for
> setting that up. Perhaps look at MapBox Studio first.

All the map editors (iD etc.) render everything in a way.

And yes, I'm all in favour of a map CAPABLE of showing everything yet
allowing the viewer to choose what's not shown.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>