100% true. Consumers don't respect (Polish word "szanować" beside "to
respect" means something like taking care of a thing, especially if
you got it from someone) our data. Most implementations are mediocre
to horrible. Main offenses are displaying irrelevant things, very
scarce tags support, partial and outright wrong translation of object
types, needless exposure of users to OSM data model (eg. directly
slapping raw opening_hours on the screen), and no understanding of
regional differences in address formats.

This sparked an idea in my mind some time ago. If anyone has
resources, they could make some sort of library/program (and maybe
distribute compiled data "products") that does all these "software has
to..." cases, doing eg. access values inference and whatever the user
specifies, maybe normalization (conflating tags that mean the same, or
abstracting from tags whatsoever - example would be that shops come
with shop=* mostly, but some do with amenity=* - or that there are
services that are tagged as shop=*) or address/admin preprocessing
which apparently is SO tricky (people still often don't understand
that addr:place is there...)
Doing things once is beneficial, saving work and keeping bugs out.

Michał