Hi,

On 06/13/2015 05:00 PM, john whelan wrote:
> I think you could extend this to saying we should let people live their
> own lives and not allow them access to things such as mobile phones
> until they have enough education to design their own.

Or perhaps even break that down to individual people... I'd probably
have to relinquish my use of a computer then because I can't design one ;)

Jokes aside, yes what you say is echoed in an acerbic comment under the
acerbic post of Eades, where the commenter writes:

"It was far more fun when MSF volunteers had to guess where the latest
poor sufferer was brought in from - at least any sketched map on a piece
of scrap paper they had was a bottom-up sketched map and free from
western hegemonic tyranny!"

> Realistically HOT mapping helps the NGOs and others to provide things
> such as Polio inoculations.  I understand that some people on religious
> grounds feel that all inoculations should be banned.  I personally don't
> subscribe to this view.

I guess one could make the point that the map is part of the aid, and
withholding the map means withholding aid. But Erica Hagens's post can
certainly not be reduced to the question of "should religious beliefs be
allowed to interfere with aid", it is much more nuanced than that.

Bye
Frederik