Hi Russ,

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:

> Frederik Ramm writes:
>  > I think the tl;dr of both these postings could be: "Whenever you give
>  > someone a map by remote mapping, you also take something away from
> them."
>
> Western aid has a bad history of mostly aiding westerners. The one
> simple trick for avoiding that is to ask the locals "How can I help?"
>
> And if the locals say "We need a better map for where we live", then
> that addresses your concern.

 What about in the situations where locals would like to make their own map
but this is not financially feasible? If we are creating truly a free map
of the entire world it is important to figure out how not to just make a
map of the privileged. Should lack of access to internet and technology be
a reason someone can't contribute to this map?

I've worked with groups where we did on the ground mapping both through our
own digitizing or through that of others. Honestly in  most cases people
were happy to not have to trace every building themselves. They could then
simply put in the names/address information. Though we should think about
what types of features and how we do our tagging where culture/experience
can come in. For example what someone might think if as a track in their
experience may be a secondary road in others.

Frederik,

Diversity to me has never just been gender. Though it has been shown that
if you make a place welcoming to women it also makes it more inviting for
other underrepresented groups. Intersectional feminism is about equality
for everyone.

For those that missed it Kathleen Danielson gave an excellent talk about
some of these issues at SotM-US last week:
http://stateofthemap.us/improving-diversity-in-osm/

-Kate