Am 14.06.2015 um 17:21 schrieb Kate Chapman:
> Possibly, but we cite as fact that imports stunt community growth. I
> don't think that has ever been proven in a way that cuts across
> cultures, geographies or the quality of the data being imported. People
> usually point to the TIGER import in the US. I don't think we can purely
> blame an import, there is much more going on than simply there was data
> already there.
>
> I'd love to see a broader, academically sound study of this.

While I can't offer an academically sound study on this, simply because
it is not possible, particularly at this late date, to set up a
controlled experiment that could provide some more insight. I don't even
think that TIGER is particularly good example BTW, because it has the
added complexity of extremely questionable data being imported which is
not the case in such a

What we can do is compare areas which have seen early large imports of
basic infrastructure to areas that have that are roughly the same
cultural background and population density with nearby areas that
haven't. We have numerous cases where this is possible (not for the
USA), big and small, for example the Netherlands and the Canton of
Solothurn. All of the cases I've looked at in such comparison indicate a
weaker local community than comparable regions which didn't have such
imports.

Further we have additional material in the early simulations that Matt
Amos did that indicate that this is not unexpected given some
assumptions about editor motivation.

So while there is no completely conclusive proof that large
infrastructure imports early in the development of a community have a
negative impact, it is not unexpected and the body of evidence clearly
supports it.

I should point out that none of the above is in any way new, just
conveniently ignored.

Simon