On 17/06/15 04:33, Hans De Kryger wrote:
> Why do OSRM & OpenRoutingService compete against each other instead of
> joining resources and combining efforts to make the best routing service
> out there? Am i missing something? I know it's nice to have different
> services for different uses but this doesn't seem like a good use of
> resources at all. I may be the only one with this opinion, but this has
> bug me for awhile.

Normally I advocate against lots of duplication as there are lots of
examples where several projects are all competing for the same developer
pool, but here I tend towards a little diversity allows alternate
algorithms to be explored. There are problems with all of the current
set of routing engines and no one has the full solution. I'm stuck with
OSMAND most of the time on the satnav, but have to ignore it's
recommended routes locally as they are simply wrong. Last time I played
with OSRM and ORS in parallel both produced different routes with some
common inaccuracies. There is still enough work that needs finishing for
a number of engines to co exist. When they all start producing the same
'perfect' answer then it may be time to merge some? But what is perfect
for one user may be wildly wrong for another ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL