At first glance, 42% feel OSM is welcoming to women sounds okay, but
stepping back, what it really shows there is a lot of room for improvement.

My goal was to quickly survey to people on the issues raised in the thread.
Getting at the gender issue requires more than just looking at the answers
by gender. Since I created the survey, I didn't feel it would be
appropriate for me to answer it as well. Had I answered it, I would have
answered No for the question. All you have to do is try to get women
involved in OSM to understand there is a problem.

I don't have an answer to how we fix the problem of making OSM a welcoming
place for women. More data could help us better understand the problem from
which we can help mailing list moderators and organizers like me do a
better job. A well designed survey, would be a good first step. It has been
a long time since I created surveys. From what I remember, first conduct a
focus group, then design and test the survey.

Clifford