On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:52:57AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> The issue of on-ramps/off-ramps tagged as *_link has been a particular
> discussion focus.  The notion you expressed that these don't have actual
> posted limits, just sometimes yellow signs is indeed shared by most in
> the discussions.  And we generally agree that the right speed to use for
> them is more or less half the speed of the larger road from which the
> links go to/from.  Perhaps half the speed of the actual road, perhaps
> half the speed of a nominal road of that class, and perhaps slower.
> But these are fine details, and the consensus is pretty strong.

if there is no hard limit this might help:
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed:practical

another thing that could help - routers should add a cost for every
lane switch or changing to different road, likewise every implicit or
explicit yield which would be implied here.
However this has the problem that sometimes what looks as different
road in OSM data is a road that was split for some technical reason.

Richard