On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 09:24:12PM +0200, Colin Smale wrote:
> I assume you are talking about typical speeds, and not a practical maximum. A
> max speed will almost never be achieved, by definition actually as the
> vehicle speeds will have a certain distribution. The highest recorded speed
> will be the de facto practical maximum, assuming the driver survived.

quite clearly the key (maxspeed:practical) has been misnamed whenever
it was invented.

Sometimes a posted maxspeed is indeed a realistic travelling speed - consider
the freeway through Nevada - and sometimes there is a huge gap between posted
(or not even existent) speed limit and practically achievable speed.

> Routers could take account of hundreds of variables in their calculation of
> predicted journey time from A to B, but in practice their calculations make
> assumptions for most of them. For example, most of them assume the vehicle is
> a car, that it is technically not limited to any particular speed, that the
> weather is perfect, that it is daytime, that the driver is not
> "inexperienced". And then there are the other volatile variables like traffic
> density, road works, oversize loads getting in the way etc.
> Routers cannot take everything into account (this would preclude a lot of
> preprocessing to simplify the real-time calculations), so they use heuristics
> which work most often.

right, and sometimes they simply need help.

> So how would you define the concept of "typical speed"?

From the wiki page

<<The name of the key is somewhat misleading - "maxspeed:practical" should be
interpreted as "realistic average speed". >>

and

<<To be used especially in places where other tags are not sufficient to
describe what kind of traveling speed could be reasonably expected. Many
mountain or rural roads as well as desert tracks do not have posted speed
limits and the realistic traveling speed may be severely limited by many
factors difficult to describe and difficult to use for calculation by routing
software.

Practical does not equal "what is physically possible", which varies by
vehicle, but roughly a median speed.>>

Urban routing problems like driving through supermarket service roads to save
a few meters of freeway or avoid a traffic signal could be probably added
to the list.

Richard