On 15/12/15 16:37, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
>> Do end users want to find a coffee shop local to them or one
>> thousands of kilometres away just because it has an extra tag
>> attached?
>
> I sincerely hope not.
>
> Given that we have a simple data issue at hand here and that
> the target audience of osm.org are mappers who happen to have
> the knowledge and skill to fix data issues, one would hope that
> a positive feedback loop unfolds and both the bad data
> and the bad search results are gone in no time.

I still consider that the initial problem is that there are two
different requirements and only one selection option. Results far away
are a little of a red herring, and a result of WANTING to find POI's
that are not local so you can move quickly to that location. THEN
looking for results filtered to that location makes sense. It is not any
bad data, but simply overly wide results set.

Add a flag for local/global to filter on the current window and the bulk
of problems go away without thinking it's the data that is bad.

Make the search 'only local' and add a note to search for the area first
then one can do 'holland' then 'starbucks', but of cause the 'holland'
search needs to be global ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL