W dniu 04.01.2016 16:08, Skyler F napisał(a):

I just decided to downgrade my whole system to 14 LTS. If I wanted to
run a virtual machine, I would just do it in the native OS, which is
mac (dual-booted).

According to Wikipedia operating-system-level virtualization technology (which Docker is using) "usually imposes little to no overhead, because programs in virtual partitions use the operating system's normal system call interface and do not need to be subjected to emulation or be run in an intermediate virtual machine, as is the case with whole-system virtualizers (such as VMware ESXi, QEMU or Hyper-V) and paravirtualizers (such as Xen or UML)", so you have (near-)native speed and neatly manageable virtual systems at the same time. The Docker container on Linux should be faster than any Linux virtual machine on OS X.

Anyway, thanks everybody for getting back to me. Now I can use APRS
where there is no internet to chase weather balloons, and volunteer at
events such as bike races where all stations are transmitting their
location through ham radio, and I need to view it on a map where I
don't have cellular service.

Great! =}

--
"Завтра, завтра всё кончится!" [Ф. Достоевский]