Try browsing the map in your area with this debug slippy map (double click
to zoom, shift-double-click to zoom out):
http://tile.openstreetmap.us/usgs_scanned_topos/preview.html

I cleared out the disk cache for this layer a couple months ago to save
some space so the areas you're looking at might need to be re-cached, which
can take some extra time and cause the JOSM connection to time out.