On 2016-04-25 21:55, John Whelan wrote:
Apols it looks as if only pact of my message got sent.

My local city is purchasing bicycle GPS track data from a company that
has a fitness app.  Apparently many cities would like this sort of
data.  However it doesn't capture those who don't have a smartphone nor
those who choose not to install a commercial app on their phone.

OSM has a history of capturing GPS data from devices, and having well
written procedures to upload it.

I don't think it needs the current GPS trace database cluttering up with
more traces but could the cycling fraternity come up with a process to
store this type of data as open data?

Is it from Strava? Strava are already supporting OSM in a few different ways. eg the default maps on the Strava website are OSM based (from Mapbox). And the routing uses OSM data.

For contributing to OSM, they allow tracing from their global heatmap. This may not be as useful as having the raw GPS traces, but it is easy to spot popular cycling routes, and improve the accuracy of roads that are already mapped.

Some more details on the wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strava