On 30.08.2016 17:03, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
... Tell me what's not affordable about spray-painting letters
on the sides of buildings?

If it were as simple as this. An address, currently a street name and house number, is to be present in a property title, so it should be unambiguous and recognized legally. Besides, streets could be renamed from time to time due to changing political moods. Letters painted with a cheap paint fade quickly under the sun light. There is an issue of illegal construction, - there are cities where about half of an urban agglomeration may be an illegal slum. And so on and so forth. So it is an expensive system which requires maintenance and enforcing.

Though you may be right, - maybe it is not possible to invent anything better than a system of addresses based on street names and house numbers. May be it is the final system, where the human ingenuity reached the Wall of Physical Laws, and no other progress is possible.

I just saw this envelope with the map, and it was something new and original.