On Thursday 22 September 2016, Daniel Koć wrote:

> I want to change the water color on default OSM map layer (osm-carto
> style) and wile the code itself is very simple:
> [...]

Note there is also the suggestion for a more discerning change in the
way water features are rendered by showing different types of
waterbodies in different colors.

The main goal of this idea would be to address the problem of poor
visibility of rivers and streams in many situations, in particular in
areas with detailed and differentiated landuse mapping - both in urban
and rural contexts.  Doing so with a single water color would lead to
an overly dominating appearance of large water surfaces, i.e. the ocean
and lakes.  By using different tones for different types of water
features the individual colors can be more specifically adjusted
without the need to compromise between a lot of different requirements.

A secondary goal of such a change would be to show the different types
of water features we have in OSM in the map and this way encourage
correct tagging.

Implementing this requires a number of other changes so is somewhat more
complex but ultimately these changes are desirable for other reasons
anyway.

Some more background information and a link to an implementation of this
idea can be found on

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1781#issuecomment-241061156

--
Christoph Hormann