We've been nagging iD developers for months, if not years, about this now.
I thought it was resolved a few months back, but apparently not.

Why is it necessary to make it so complicated to draw a building that
doesn't get uploaded as area=yes in iD? Why not simply default to
building=yes or warn about the error and give mappers the chance to convert
all their newly mapped area=yes to building=yes, preferably in one swift go?

No, the validators need to stumble upon it, then tell the mappers on a one
to one basis about the proper way to map. My personal preference is to
suggest that other editor out there, where you can draw rectangular
buildings with just 3 mouse clicks. But that one is considered way too
complicated to get going with. So let's not use that.

Polyglot