My gut feel is these have been mapped before the African highway wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa guidelines were
written.  One batch was mapped in 2013.

If they were mapped on a HOT project that I was validating I'd probably
switch them to residential unless it was an experienced local mapper in
which case we might have a discussion.

I'm not sure what the implications of having them tagged living_street is.
I know highway=road is sometimes omitted by routing software as it is a
temporary type and you don't know if its a motorway or a footway with
steps.  Would routing software ignore them unless you were on foot?

I think its one of those things that needs one or two local mappers
gathered together for each country to check or make a decision on but
locating them and getting them to take ownership is difficult.  Certainly
sitting in Canada looking at imagery I wouldn't want to make the call when
it might be a local mapper and they might be correct.

The other approach is if there are no legally defined living_streets in
Africa or even a list of countries where they are not legally defined then
switch them to residential. Many residential streets have football games
etc played in the middle if the traffic isn't heavy in many parts of the
world.  I certainly remember telling a copper who thought we shouldn't be
playing rounders in the street. Why not its our street.  He took himself
off.

Perhaps the African highway wiki needs to be extended to cover them?

Thoughts?

Cheerio John