I like the idea of putting it in a software specific version control system
but we need to preserve all the tools used to help curate the database
along with the database. I don't like the idea of relying on 3rd party
hosts with user accounts. We then we have to trust that both the users and
hosts will keep it available in perpetuity. If hosted on a service like
GitHub, unless someone else backs up that repository, that code could
disappear out of error, malicious intent, change of mind on open source,
etc. I also think keeping code available after becoming obsolete is
important in the event that some contribution it made needs to be examined.

However on the other hand GitHub is very popular and there would likely be
poor buy-in if contributors were asked to use a different system. Therefore
I propose that a new template be made on the wiki which is specifically for
referring tools in any repository used on the OSM database. Those
repositories would then be automatically and periodically cloned (backed
up) to say git.openstreetmaps.org.