Hi,

On 20.09.2017 13:17, James wrote:
> Also does organised mapping include groups that hold little mapathons?
> Example a local mapping group from Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or
> Ottawa decide to say map sidewalks in their city. It's an organised
> event. Would they be included as well?
>
> The terms used in this survey seem a little vague and can be left to
> interpretation.

It is likely that any policy we come up with later will also leave room
for interpretation and this will be necessary to make it work.

I think they key issues are choice and responsibility. If you have a
group of experienced mappers getting together and doing something, then
they are not "told by a third party what to map"; they do what they
would otherwise do, just together. They act as individuals vis-a-vis the
community, they feel responsible for their edits, and there's no need to
put up rules. They're no different from a mapping party of old.

If you have, on the other hand, a group of people who have never mapped
and who "just follow orders" (whether written or spoken), and who when
challenged about their edits would likely shrug and say "I just did what
the lead sidewalk mapping guy said, you'll have to take it up with him",
then that's clearly organised mapping.

There's a grey area in between, especially since you might have both
types of contributors mixed at an event, but also because you can choose
different words to describe the same event.

Certainly "organised" doesn't simply mean that someone gets a room an
pizza. They would have to provide instruction and guidance too.

Bye
Frederik