Thank you Frederik for the clearification, so a Stammtisch as you call it
would not be affected by the policy unless there was outside
influence(unexperienced mapper that says map this in osm, example:
political/voting districts(which is why the policy would be there to tell
them that this is not appropriate for osm))

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20.09.2017 13:17, James wrote:
> > Also does organised mapping include groups that hold little mapathons?
> > Example a local mapping group from Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or
> > Ottawa decide to say map sidewalks in their city. It's an organised
> > event. Would they be included as well?
> >
> > The terms used in this survey seem a little vague and can be left to
> > interpretation.
>
> It is likely that any policy we come up with later will also leave room
> for interpretation and this will be necessary to make it work.
>
> I think they key issues are choice and responsibility. If you have a
> group of experienced mappers getting together and doing something, then
> they are not "told by a third party what to map"; they do what they
> would otherwise do, just together. They act as individuals vis-a-vis the
> community, they feel responsible for their edits, and there's no need to
> put up rules. They're no different from a mapping party of old.
>
> If you have, on the other hand, a group of people who have never mapped
> and who "just follow orders" (whether written or spoken), and who when
> challenged about their edits would likely shrug and say "I just did what
> the lead sidewalk mapping guy said, you'll have to take it up with him",
> then that's clearly organised mapping.
>
> There's a grey area in between, especially since you might have both
> types of contributors mixed at an event, but also because you can choose
> different words to describe the same event.
>
> Certainly "organised" doesn't simply mean that someone gets a room an
> pizza. They would have to provide instruction and guidance too.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frede...@remote.org  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"