I talked at a conference to a man from UK who, as I understood, participates in the hardware work on the OSM servers. I was told that multiple layers require too much additional work to be handled by volunteers and also additional hardware&software. That it is not feasible with the current state of technology.

The intent is not to replace the titles in Japanese, but to add additional labels in smaller font in the Latin alphabet. The Latin language itself has been for centuries the language of science, and it remains the language of scientific classification. For example, Isaac Newton wrote his breakthrough books in Latin.

So why not using it for geographical classification too? As soon as people see that the Latin version appears on the map as an additional label, they will start adding tags in this language. And there will be no doubts that a preference is given to a certain country or group of countries.

Best regards,
Oleksiy