On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:15 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since an OSM object has  lat and long value and it appears that wiki
> whatever also has one the entries can be linked.

Not so.  The data is very often different between wikipedia, wikidata, and
OSM. Also, the same location could be a square, a famous sculpture within
that square, and some commemorative plaque on it, and all could have some
wikipedia/wikidata entry. Matching them up requires humans, and cannot
reliably be done by an algorithm in a large number of cases. Lastly, if the
coordinates are different, you may not copy it from OSM to Wikidata because
of the difference in the license.

> "This gives you a very simple table with: lat/lon/page_title.
>   No parsing or anything else involved.
>   You then take data from OSM - lat/lon/wikipedia.tag
>   So you have two tables of same structure. Voila. You can compare
> anything (title, coordinates), in any direction with some
> approximation if needed etc. No OSM wikidata involved at all."

See above,  this cannot be done with any reasonable reliability by
automatic means. You will end up with an incredible amount of unreliable
data. Feel free to discuss deleting of both Wikipedia and Wikidata tags,
but I seriously doubt the community will go for it.

> I really don't understand why wikidata needs to be added.  Note the word
> need, I'm missing the requirement somehow that overides following normal
> OSM practices.

Assuming my above arguments has convinced you -- that we must manually
determine the match between an OSM feature and a Wikipedia article, lets
discuss how best to link to Wikipedia.  There are two options: link by
article title, and link by Wikidata ID. The first one causes many errors -
because titles get renamed, and old titles are reused for other meanings.
The second approach is less readable when looking at the tag, but it is
much more stable.  Its as simple as that.  One approach causes errors, the
other approach is more stable.  Both point to Wikipedia article, just using
a slightly different URL internally.

Automatically adding Wikidata tags is already being done by iD. I would
like to finish that process, so that the community can clean up all the
mistakes that are hiding in the OSM db.