John, I guess it is always good to talk as a data scientist - with numbers
and facts. Here's why matching by coordinates would not work.  This query
calculates the distance between the OSM nodes, and the coordinates that
Wikidata has for those nodes. I only looked at nodes, because ways and
relations are even more incorrect - Wiki only has a center point.  The
results are bucketed by the distance (in km) - the bigger the distance, the
bigger the mismatch between OSM and Wikipedia.   As you can see,  only a
small number of nodes are accurate to 10 meters.    Query:
http://tinyurl.com/ybp4tp7a

diff in km number of nodes
<0.01 75,027
<0.1 131,644
<0.5 147,637
<1 46,891
<2 28,049
<5 10,792
<10 3,537
10+ 7,239

Is this a convincing argument why we should have a Wikipedia/Wikidata link,
as oppose to calculate it?

The other issue is why we need Wikidata links - while I have said it many
times, let me say it again.  Because the current system is badly broken -
as is evident by tens of thousands of errors that my approach has
uncovered.  I am not advocating to delete Wikipedia tag. Only that when you
use wikipedia tag, it creates a burden on the community to maintain, and
community is clearly unable to keep up with the changes on the Wikipedia
side. So instead of using just the bad link (page title), I am advocating
to use a good link (wikidata).  We are already using it for 90%. Why not
fill in the last 10%?  It does not change anything of how you do your
mapping. It simply helps those who want to fix errors, or view
corresponding wikipedia articles even if it gets renamed.