Martin, while it is fascinating to learn about Aldi, its history, and
possible ways to organize information about it, isn't it a moot point for
our  discussion?  We are talking about Wikipedia, and how we link to it.
There is only one Aldi Wikipedia article that can be connected to:

* German
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:GoToLinkedPage?itemid=
Q125054&site=dewiki

* English
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:GoToLinkedPage?itemid=
Q125054&site=enwiki

This is the current behavior of the iD editor: you type in Wikipedia page,
and it automatically updates Wikidata ID, storing both values.  If you
think this is incorrect, please start a discussion, and we may want to
change that.  But this has been the automatic software behavior for a long
time. Most iD users would not even know that they have updated Wikidata
tag, so lets not treat "wikidata" as some magical unicorn that links to
something bigger and better - it is simply a link to Wikipedia.

It is really up to the software to generate a proper link to Wikipedia.  It
could be generated just like I showed above, or by transforming wikipedia
tag, hoping that the page is still the same.  In either case, you only get
a link.